Blaine is a town in Aroostook County, Maine, United States. The population was 726 at the 2010 census. It was known as Alva prior to incorporation in 1874, when it was renamed in honor of James G. Blaine, then Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. According to local history, Blaine offered to donate a large bell for the tower of the town's new meeting hall, if the citizens would rename the town after him. The town's name was changed, but Blaine never donated a bell. The building still stands on the north end of town, on Route 1.