Calpella is a census-designated place in Mendocino County, California. It is located on the Russian River 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Ukiah, at an elevation of 682 feet (208 m). It is within the Ukiah Valley where U.S. Route 101 and State Route 20 intersect. The population was 679 at the 2010 census. The small town is the site of the Mendocino Redwood Company mill and offices, which controls ten percent of the private land in the county.
Col. C.H. Veeder and James Pettus, Veeder's son-in-law, founded the town in 1858. It is named after Kalpela, the chief of the nearby Pomo village of Chomchadila. For a time, it rivaled Ukiah in importance.
The Calpella post office opened in 1860, closed in 1868, re-opened in 1872, discontinued for a time and moved in 1920.
The ZIP Code is 95418. The community is inside area code 707.