Grundy is a town in Buchanan County, Virginia, United States, an area of the Appalachian Mountains. The population was 1,105 at the 2000 census and 1,021 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Buchanan County. The town is noted for two educational institutions established since the late 20th century: Appalachian School of Law and Appalachian College of Pharmacy.
Legislation establishing Buchanan County in 1858 designated a plat of land at the confluence of the Levisa Fork River and Slate Creek as the seat of government for the county and directed the erection of the county courthouse on the plat, which marked the beginnings of what would be Grundy.
Although originally developed along the Levisa Fork River, which provided a transportation and power waterway, the town suffered from nine major floods since 1929 that caused extensive damage, the last in 1977. It is notable for having major businesses relocated in the 21st century to higher ground to prevent such damage in the future. A mountain opposite the historic town was blasted to provide a kind of plateau where much of the town was relocated and redeveloped. The federal project included construction of bridges and a flood wall, and relocation of some roadways.
During the American Civil War, the town served as a stopover for Union troops on their way to the Battle of Saltville.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license