Niche No Essay Scholarship
Quick and Easy to Apply for a $2,000 Scholarship
1. Apply Where the Jobs AreIf you’re looking for retail employment this year, it’s important to remember to apply at the chains that are thriving.
Course Hero $4k College Giveaway
Easy to Enter, No Essay Needed
Easy to apply, with no fees.
Discover® Student Loans
2. Look OnlineWhen it comes to companies needing holiday help, retail is where it’s at. Look up major retailers online to see if they’re hiring seasonal or part-time staff. Common job postings for seasonal employees include in store associates, distribution centers or customer service counters. You can often submit applications online, too.
3. Show FaceEven if you find a job opening online and apply, you should always make a point to go into the store and introduce yourself as a current job applicant to the hiring manager(s). It will help you stand apart from the piles of job applications that every manger receives for the upcoming hiring season. Introducing yourself in person often makes a difference in whether or not you get the job. Even though it may seem easier to only apply online, you may not get the result you’re looking for. It's much easier to make a good (and lasting) impression in person. Think about it: it's a lot harder to ensure you stand out as an applicant when you're just another application in a stack of papers.
4. Think Outside of the MallConsider the stores or companies people usually frequent for holiday gift-giving outside of the mall. The first place most workers will be looking is at the mall, so you’ll likely decrease your competition if you venture out.
5. The Early Applicant Gets the JobWhen it comes to seasonal employment, the competition is fierce - especially for the jobs that pay well or offer hefty employee discounts. Make sure to apply as early as possible and follow up in a timely matter. Stores get piles of applications for seasonal employment and an overwhelmed manager will appreciate you putting in the extra effort to remain in contact.
6. Stay FlexibleIf you’re willing to work on certain dates or shifts that aren’t as popular, you’ll get a leg-up on the competition. If you remain open and flexible with your schedule, you’re more likely to position yourself as a great fit for seasonal employment.
7. Never Insult RetailMost seasonal positions fall within the retail sector, although there are also some creative holiday jobs, too. Although retail may not be your chosen career path, it’s important to remember that you’ll be working with others who have chosen retail for their careers. Never insult the profession or make it known that it’s just a temporary fill for you or you’re likely to alienate people and not get the job.
8. Discount Down LowOne of the reasons you may be applying at a particular retailers is for the great employee discount. You have holiday shopping to do to, right? While everyone is aware this is one of the perks of working retail, never mention this in your application, interview or to a fellow employee - even if you're joking. As someone who worked in the retail industry for over ten years, I can promise you: it's a surefire way to get your resume in the reject pile. Retailers look for workers who love the store, but want to work there for the culture, not the discount. Consider it one of those secrets that everyone knows but nobody ever says out loud - assuming you want the job.
9. Ignore MythsAccording to Monster, there are many seasonal job myths you should ignore, like thinking all seasonal jobs are in the retail industry. Find out what the myths are so they it won't hinder your job search.
10. Check Out Your Part-Time Job MatchesDid you know you can find part-time job listings on Fastweb? They're updated frequently and listings are based on your location. You can even flag listings you like so you'll never miss an opportunity! Find a great seasonal part-time job hiring near you today. If you'd like even more tips, check out Monster's seasonal job tips.
Still looking for seasonal employment? Find out who's hiring for the 2019 holiday season.