Summary:• Do research on financial aid and budgeting prior to the conversation
• Use your financial aid report/s to begin asking financial questions
• Construct clear expectations for both your personal and family contribution, maybe by including some hard numbers or grade requirements
• Determine amounts of spending money per month/semester, should it be provided
• Create a mock budget that summarizes your discussion and update it when other sources of income (like scholarships or a new job) become available. This budget will be a good resource during college years.
• Remember to keep applying for scholarships to keep costs down!