Get Your Custom List of Scholarships to Help Pay for School. Sign Up Now!
Fastweb is your connection to scholarships, financial aid & more.
17 Locker Must HavesHere are your 2020 locker must haves. Including a few weird -- but brilliant-- things for your locker:
- Collapsible locker shelf Odds are you’ll need more space than you thought. Consider purchasing an inexpensive and collapsible shelf for your locker. This will give you an extra place to put hard to organize items. Customize it by picking a color that matches your personality.
- Magnetic dry erase sheets Use this to quickly write yourself reminders, lists or even a new motivational quote each week. The heavier, bulkier dry erase boards are a thing of the past. The sheets are slim and easy to remove. Plus, you’ll have four extra sheets to give to your locker neighbor or friends. Just remember to get your locker measurements before purchasing to be sure they fit your locker space.
- Extra phone or tablet charger How many times have you left the house without your charger? Too many to count. Purchase an extra charger for your phone or tablet and keep it in your locker. This way you’ll never be out of power.
- Power bank You thought you had more cell phone battery than you do and it’s only fourth hour. Keep a source of power in your locker to keep your important items charged when you cannot get to an electrical outlet.
- Shatter-proof locker mirror Teeth check. Need we say more? Male or female, every locker needs a mirror to keep the embarrassing moments at bay. And we all know you this is the place you tend to rediscover lost items, and think “how did I get all of this junk in here?” while cleaning your locker out at the end of the year.
- Dryer Sheets Yes. Place a dryer sheet or two at the bottom of your locker. It’s the most cost effective, easy-to-store and disguise way to keep things in that tiny space smelling nice. Bonus: You have these at home. If it’s okay with mom, grab a few to put in your locker to keep things fresh.
- Small-portioned hand sanitizer A lot can be associated with the year 2020, hand sanitizer is no exception. Rather than the bulky sanitizers you’ll see in your classrooms, opt for a smaller hand sanitizer option.
- Removable hooks Installing a removable hook will give you space to hang your jacket or cardigan so it’s out of your way and off the bottom of your locker (a common catch all). You’ll also want to hang any lanyards to keep them from getting lost.
- Extra tissues With Coronavirus concerns, you’ll want to have access to tissues should you need them. This year is not a good year to have the sniffles – avoid the awkwardness and have a few tissues in your locker just in case.
- Backup Face Mask It’s easy to lose a face mask; just look around the floors at your local shopping center or busy city sidewalks (kinda gross, really). Lost face masks will join the world of the lost socks—wherever that may be. Keep a backup mask in your locker and consider hanging it on the removable hook you purchased for safe keeping. If you haven’t checked out Redbubble’s face mask selection you really should! These are fun masks you won’t want to misplace.
- Comfy shoes For cases when those cute shoes you put on this morning are now giving you a monster blister, or when your tennis shoes got soaked in a massive downpour, you’ll want a quick solution. Store a pair of flats or flip flop in your locker for times when you really could use an extra pair of shoes.
- Sweatshirt or cardigan We’ve all been there—the forecast falsely claims the day will be warm when you leave the house, or your homeroom location feels like it’s smack-dab in the Arctic tundra. When your warm-wear outfit is not keeping out the cold, whatever the situation, keep your temp comfortable with that extra warmth when you need it!
- Mini makeup kit Keep a small bag of makeup essentials in your locker for times when you need to cover up a blemish quickly or have an eyeliner mishap. Consider using a fun Ziploc bag to keep items like concealer, makeup remover cloths, eyeliner and travel powder.
- Deodorant Maybe your public speaking presentation has you nervous or you simply forgot to put on deodorant before you ran out of the house. You (and your classmates) will be happy you had that travel sized deodorant in your locker!
- Pictures that make you smile It’s so nice to open your locker to be greeted by a picture of your sweet kitten, Salvador Dali. Or, a family photo of you and your brother or sister. Gather a few photos that give you all the feels and use a magnetic photo sleeve place to them in your locker. You’ll get a quick pick-me-up in between each class.
- Hair ties Having a few extra hair ties on hand may be helpful too. Test taking seems easier when your hair is out of your face. Hair is up—time to conquer this test! Or times you may need to get crafty in art class and want to avoid the annoying hair-in-your way situation.
- Dry shampoo
Virtual Student NeedsWhile some schools are opening up this August or September with an in-person format, be prepared to suddenly switch to a virtual classroom. Below are four virtual-student considerations.
- Have access to a quite place or a room where you can close the door. In an at-home environment you'll need to focus.
- Blend comfy seating options into your study space. Sometimes it's helpful to change up your seating arrangement. Try reading your assignment in a bean bag or using a yoga ball seat to boost your focus during a math lesson.
- Be sure your set up is healthy. Too much work in front of a computer screen is hard on the eyes. Schedule in breaks to help you regain your focus. It's also important to be sure your computer is at eye-level, your back is straight and your wrist placement is correct when typing. Not having these elements correct for an extended period of time can lead to exhaustion, headaches or back pain.
- Basic school supplies Have paper and pens to take notes as well as any sticky notes to help you stay organized. Organization is KEY as a virtual student. Use a calendar to schedule in breaks and a time schedule for specific subjects so you don't lose track of time.