Trenton is a small city in Wayne County in the southeast portion of the U.S. state of Michigan. At the 2010 census, the city population was 18,853. The city is part of Downriver, a collection of mostly blue-collar communities south of Detroit on the west bank of the Detroit River. Trenton is known for its waterfront and growing boating community.
Many residents are employed in the city's factories such as the Chrysler Trenton Engine Plant, Solutia, and the Trenton Channel Power Plant. Beaumont Hospital - Trenton is located within city limits and has 203 beds. The former McLouth Steel plant is also located in the city. There is rail service in the city. The city operates the 21,000-square-foot (2,000 m2) Trenton Veterans Memorial Library and a historical museum. Trenton has 15 churches of 10 denominations.
A Native American Shawnee village founded by war chief Blue Jacket after the 1795 Treaty of Greenville was located in Trenton on what is now Elizabeth Park. Elizabeth Park is part of the Wayne County park system and was the first county park in Michigan, designated in 1919.
The August 9, 1812 Battle of Monguagon between Americans and a British-Indian coalition took place just north of Trenton in Riverview, though the Michigan state historical marker memorializing it was placed in Trenton, about a mile south of where the fighting actually took place.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license