Orla is a town in Reeves County, Texas, United States. It lies about 38 miles north of Pecos. It is believed to have two residents and has its own post office, located on U.S. Route 285. The post office was established 26 December 1906 with Joshua D. McAdams as first postmaster.
Orla was founded in 1890 and served as a section house for the newly built Pecos Valley Railroad, incorporated by John J. Hagerman, an American Industrialist, to link Eddy, New Mexico (now Carlsbad) with Pecos, Texas. The population remained small until World War II when the town's population finally grew and the number of businesses increased to two to serve the population of nearly 60 residents. The population reached a high of around 250 people when oil, gas, and sulphur activity brought more workers to the region in the 1960s.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license