Halifax is a borough in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, United States. Halifax was incorporated as a borough on May 29, 1785. It is situated at the confluence of Armstrong Creek and the Susquehanna River. The population was 841 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Harrisburg–Carlisle Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Fort Halifax was located along the Susquehanna River near the present borough. It was a temporary stronghold for the Pennsylvania colonial militia from 1756 to 1757, during the French and Indian War. Prior to settlement by Europeans the area was inhabited by North American Indians, presumably Susquehannocks, evidenced by frequent unearthing of tools and arrowheads by local residents and farmers.
Just outside the borough of Halifax lies the Clemson Island Prehistoric District, on Clemson Island which falls under the jurisdiction of Halifax Township.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license