Bullard is a small town in Smith and Cherokee counties in the east central part of U.S. state of Texas. U.S. Route 69 and Farm-to-Market Roads 2137, 2493, and 344, intersect here, about 15 miles (24 km) south of the larger city of Tyler. The population was 2,463 at the 2010 census, up from 1,150 at the 2000 census.
The Smith County portion of the town is part of the Tyler Metropolitan Statistical Area, while the Cherokee County portion is part of the Jacksonville Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Bullard was earlier known as "Etna" and "Hewsville". The town is named for John H. Bullard, a Confederate soldier, and Emma Eugenia (Erwin) Bullard. In 1881, John Bullard opened the Hewsville post office in his store. In 1883, the Etna post office, near Hewsville, was closed. Then, the Hewsville office was renamed "Bullard". Many rural residents in northern Cherokee County are served by the Bullard post office. The bypassing of the railroad brought about the demise of Etna and the rise of Bullard.