Alanson (/əˈlæn.sən/ ə-LAN-sən) is a village in Emmet County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 738 at the 2010 census.
Alanson is in Littlefield Township on U.S. Highway 31 at the junction with M-68. Petoskey is about 12 miles (19 km) southwest on US 31 and Mackinaw City and the Mackinac Bridge are about 25 miles (40 km) north. Interstate 75 is about 11 miles (18 km) to the east on M-68 at Indian River.
Alanson was first settled in 1875. The Alanson post office opened with the name Hinman on January 17, 1877, and changed to Alanson on June 22, 1882.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license