College Apartment Packing Checklist
Use this list to ensure you pack all the essentials!
August 01, 2017
By now, you’ve probably started to think about packing for college. While it’s easy to get overwhelmed, remember that you’re just going to college – not Mars.
Every year, tons of students pack way too many items in fear they won’t be prepared.
However, they arrive to learn that they have little space to store everything and end up regretting packing so much.
Alternatively, they forget an essential item because there’s just so much to think about.
Remember, if you do forget an essential, you can always ask someone to send it, pick it up next time you visit home or have someone from home bring it along when they visit.
Or, if it’s something as simple as a toothbrush, there are stores around your college town.
In hopes to help with the process, here’s a college dorm packing checklist.
Follow this list to help ensure you’ve packed all the essentials without over packing.
Always Ask First!Before bringing any of the following items, contact your school’s housing office and ask about the rules and regulations within the residence halls.
Many schools don’t allow things such as:
- Halogen bulbs and/or lamps
- Hotplates, skillets, toasters, toaster ovens
- Air conditioners
- Extension cords
- Nail picture hangers
- Sheets (Check to see if they need to be a special size)
- Bed risers (If your bed isn’t a loft)
- Desk/Bed lamp
- Book light
- Crates or stacking storage containers
- Microwave (If allowed in room)
- Mini-Refrigerator (If allowed in room)
- TV/DVD Player
- Facial Tissues
- Laundry basket/bag
- Laundry detergent
- Stain remover
- Rolls of quarters (If necessary for laundry)
- Dryer sheets
- Trash can
- Paper plates and cups
- Cups, dishes & silverware for in-room snacks
- Reusable water bottle
- Reusable coffee mug
- Plastic containers with lids for snacks (Bugs, otherwise!)
- Delicious snacks
- Shower caddy
- Soap/body wash
- Shower pouf/loofah
- Towels (Bath, face, washcloths)
- Shower shoes
- Body lotion
- Shaving Cream / Razors
- Feminine Products
- Cold medicine
- Hair dryer (Straightener, Curling Iron)
- Cotton swabs, cotton balls, etc.
- Sewing kit (with safety pins)
- Lint brush
- Wrinkle release
- Video Game Console/Games
- Framed photos with family, friends, roommates
- Dry erase board (For messages from friends)
- Deck of cards, Board Games
Other Fun Items to Consider:
- Comfortable clothes/shoes for class
- 1 interview outfit
- 1 dressy outfit (For formal events)
- Work out clothing/shoes
- 1 bathing suit/beach towel
- Light jacket for early fall/spring
- Raincoat, rain boots, umbrella
- Winter coat
- Winter hat, scarf, gloves, boots
- Computer/laptop case
- Wireless mouse
- Lap desk
- iPod/MP3 Player
- Tablet or E-reader
- Blank discs or drives for the computer labs
- Desk organizer
- Binders, folders
- Printer and ink cartridges
- Printer paper
- Pens, pencils
- Dictionary/ Thesaurus (Apps work, too!)
- Backpack or messenger bag
- Day planner
- Post-It notes
- Three-hole punch
- Paper/binder clips
- Rubber bands
- Extra Phone Charger(s)
School, Computer & Tech
- Area maps
- Safe with a lock (For valuables)
- Toolbox/Basic tool set
- Weekend bag or small suitcase
- Extra Power strip(s)
- Extra Extension cord(s)
- Poster putty for hanging up decorations (Most schools don’t allow nails)
- Bathroom rug
- Shower/bath mat
- Shower curtain
- Shower curtain/tension rod
- Shower curtain hooks
- Towel hooks
- Full-length mirror
- Air freshener
- Toilet brush
- Toilet cleaner
- Rags, sponges, scrub-brushes
- Swiffer/Swiffer pads
- Mini Vacuum
- Cleaning wipes
- Rubber gloves
- Dish soap
Handy Things to Have
If You Have a Private or Shared Bathroom with Roommates
Note: Even though you can usually get school supplies on campus, it’s often cheaper to buy it during the back-to-school sales at off-campus stores.
Need Money to Pay for College?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants, and internships, for which they actually qualify. You'll find high value scholarships like VIP Voice's $5,000 Scholarship, and easy to enter scholarships like Niche $2,000 No Essay Scholarship, and internships with companies like Apple, Google, Dreamworks, and even NASA!