$5,000 Discover® Student Loans Scholarship
No essay required. Students and parents are eligible to win.
Niche No Essay Scholarship
Quick and Easy to Apply for a $2,000 Scholarship
- Provide a loan waiver to allow direct loan payments to count toward forgiveness that otherwise would not have counted toward PSLF (must apply by October 31, 2022). This waiver applies to those who have Direct Loans, those who have already consolidated under the Direct Loan program, and those who have other types of federal student loans who apply for consolidation under the Direct Loan Program during the allotted time. Borrowers can take action on this waiver by visiting: StudentAid.gov/PSLF.
- Simplify which payments qualify for PSLF. In the past, borrowers have been penalized for being short on their payment amount by a penny or two. Simple mistakes like this have cost borrowers forgiveness. The new changes will allow for more leniency.
- Allow months serving in military to count toward PSLF. Members of the military are able to put their student loans into forbearance or deferment while they’re on active duty, but those months do not count toward PSLF. Under the new rules, months spent on active duty will count toward PSLF regardless of their loan status.
- Automatically make federal employees and members of the military part of the PSLF program. Next year, qualifying federal employees and military members will be automatically registered for PSLF.
- Review denied applications and correct errors. Many borrowers have complained of processing errors as well as discrepancies in the amounts they owe. The Department will review these complaints to ensure that borrowers are not being cheated out of qualifying.
- Improve communication with eligible borrowers. The Department will begin reaching out to borrowers who qualify for PSLF. Specifically, individuals will be emailed who have made 120 payments but need to verify their employer as well as those who made previous payments that did not qualify but now do under the new rules.
- Simplify the application process. Make it easier for borrowers to apply for public service loan forgiveness.
- Continue to make long-term improvements to the program. The Department of Education will continue to make improvements to the program through the rule-making process.
$2,000 CollegeXpress Scaredy Cat Scholarship
In just one sentence: What scares you most about the college admission process?