Garnet High School, also known as Garnet Career Center and Garnet Adult Education Center, is a historic African American high school in Charleston, West Virginia. It is a three-story, brick structure, constructed in 1928-29 from the plans of the prestigious Charleston architectural firm of Warne, Tucker, Silling and Hutchison, and dedicated December 2–4, 1929. The facade features a limestone arched entrance containing two sets of double doors, transom light, and a limestone tympanum. Garnet was one of three high schools in the Kanawha Valley built for African American students. It closed as a high school in 1956, following integration of the public schools, but has been used as a public resource building since that time.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license