Choosing a Student Bank Account
By Kathryn Knight
Find the perfect student bank account.
College presents many opportunities to step up to the plate and start taking on more responsibility. Just like making it to class on time and taking care of your dorm room, managing your money properly is your responsibility once you get to college.
Fortunately, there are a plethora of student bank account options to help keep you in the green. Check out our expert tips on what to look for and where to find the best student banking accounts.
- Convenient ATM locations close to campus. This will prevent students from withdrawing from other banks, which typically charge a fee if you’re not an account holder at that bank.
- No withdrawal fees from bank’s own ATMs.
- No monthly or minimum balance fees.
- Debit card over an ATM card. The debit card will allow students to make purchases with the card whereas the ATM card limits students to withdrawals from an ATM only.
We also suggest:
- Mobile banking and text message alerts when account funds are too low.
- Online banking and bill-paying services.
- Easy access to the account so Mom and Dad can deposit money too.
- Nationwide bank that you’ll have access to after graduation—think Bank of America or PNC Bank.
As you search for a bank to make your college life easier, keep in mind qualities that you’ll need from a bank after graduation. Students should look for banks that allow student loan payments to automatically withdraw from their checking account. Most lenders will offer a small discount for students who sign up for auto-debit and electronic billing.
Our picks for student-friendly banking centers:
- Bank of America
- Citizens Bank
- Fifth Third Bank
- JP Morgan Chase
- Key Bank
- M&T Bank
- PNC Bank
- TD Bank
- US Bank
Need money to pay for college?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants and awards for which they actually qualify. Sign up today to get started. You'll find scholarships like the $2,000 "No Essay" Scholarship from Niche, a scholarship open to all U.S. students and those planning on enrolling within 12 months.