The University of Kansas (KU) is a public research university and the largest university in the State of Kansas. KU campuses are located in Lawrence, Wichita, Overland Park, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, with the main campus located in Lawrence on Mount Oread, the highest location in Lawrence. The University was opened in 1866, under a charter granted by the Kansas Legislature in 1864.
The University's Medical Center and University Hospital are located in Kansas City, Kansas. The Edwards Campus is in Overland Park, Kansas, in the Kansas City metropolitan area. There are also educational and research sites in Parsons and Topeka, and branches of the University of Kansas School of Medicine in Wichita and Salina.
Enrollment at the Lawrence and Edwards campuses was 26,266 students for the 2010–2011 academic year; an additional 3,196 students were enrolled at the KU Medical Center for a total enrollment of 29,462 students across the three campuses. The Lawrence campus and KU Medical Center combined employ 2,529 faculty members.
The 2013 U.S. News & World Report rankings recognized KU 106th in the category "national universities". In addition, the 2008 report stated that the University of Kansas ranked as the 18th most popular university in the United States. It also ranks 11th in the nation for study abroad involvement with nearly one-third of students participating.
KU is home to the Robert J. Dole Institute of Politics, the Beach Center on Disability, and radio stations KJHK, 90.7 FM, and KANU, 91.5 FM. The university is host to several notable museums including the University of Kansas Natural History Museum and the Spencer Museum of Art. The libraries of the University include the Anschutz Library, which commemorates the businessman Philip Anschutz, an alumnus of the University.
The University is one of the 63 members of the Association of American Universities.
- Public, Four or more years
- $19,500.00 avg tuition
Strong Hall, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd, Room 230
Lawrence, KS 66045
Areas of Study:
- Architecture And Related Services
- Area, Ethnic, Cultural, Gender, And Group Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business, Management, Marketing, And Related Support Services
- Communication, Journalism, And Related Programs
- Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- Engineering Technologies And Engineering Related Fields
- English Language And Literature/Letters
- Foreign Languages, Literatures, And Linguistics
- Health Professions And Related Programs
- Legal Professions And Studies
- Liberal Arts And Sciences, General Studies And Humanities
- Mathematics And Statistics
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Natural Resources And Conservation
- Parks, Recreation, Leisure, And Fitness Studies
- Philosophy And Religious Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Public Administration And Social Service Professions
- Social Sciences
- Visual And Performing Arts
Scholarships for Students in Kansas
Schools Near University of Kansas
|WellSpring School of Allied Health||0.9mi|
|Z Hair Academy||1.5mi|
|Haskell Indian Nations University||1.5mi|
|Central Baptist Theological Seminary||22.2mi|
|B Street Design School of International Hair Styling-Topeka||23.8mi|
|Xenon International Academy-Kansas City||24.6mi|
|Regency Beauty Institute-Olathe||25.3mi|
|MidAmerica Nazarene University||25.6mi|
|Brown Mackie College-Kansas City||27.5mi|
|Washburn Institute of Technology||27.8mi|
|Johnson County Community College||27.8mi|