University Website: www.snow.edu
Apply Online: www.utahmentor.org/applications/snow_college/apply.html
Snow College is a rural, two-year state college located in Ephraim, Utah, U.S. It offers certificates and associate degrees in a number of areas. Begining in 2012, for the first time in its history, Snow will offer a 4-year degree. The 4-year bachelor's program is in commercial music. Snow College is operated as part of the Utah System of Higher Education.
Founded in 1888 by local citizens as Sanpete Stake Academy, the school was later renamed Snow Academy to honor The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) leaders Lorenzo Snow and Erastus Snow. It is one of the oldest junior colleges west of the Mississippi. The name was changed to Snow College in 1923. The college was transferred from the LDS Church to the State of Utah in 1932.
Current enrollment is 3,244 In addition to the main (82 acres (330,000 m2)) Ephraim campus, Snow College maintains the Snow College Richfield Campus (56 acres (230,000 m2)) in Richfield, Utah. Snow College athletic teams, known as the Badgers, are consistently highly ranked; its football team won the National Junior College Championship in 1985, and finished #2 in 2006. Its football players often go on to play at Division I-A schools.
In addition to athletics, Snow College has a notable music program. The Horne School of Music has been an accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music since 1997, and is also very proud to be an All Steinway School. Some Snow College music graduates go on to play in some of the finest groups and colleges in the world. In addition, Snow host some of the finest music camps in the nation, such as the Juilliard Jazz Summer Workshop and the Manhattan to the Mountains Chamber Workshop, held annually. Beginning in 2012, the Horne School of Music will offer the first baccalaureate program in the history of the college, a Bachelor of Music degree in Commercial Music.
The theatre arts program at Snow College is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre and is affiliated with the Juilliard Drama Division. It regularly produces five major productions each year as well as a student produced season of Black Box productions and a summer program featuring instructors from the Juilliard Drama Division. The graduates from the theatre arts program are regularly accepted into upper division and graduate programs nationally and are frequently found in professional theatre companies and businesses throughout the United States.
Snow College also has an accredited Art program, being highly recommended and many connections to colleges throughout the US. Some of its students have gone on to institutions including Cornwall, University of Utah, Utah State University, BYU, New York Art Academy, and various other institutions. Their professors are all highly qualified, and low class numbers give one-on-one advisement time. They have gallery space that is visited by many accredited artists, they have a weekly student Alt Space, and connections to the CUAC.
Snow prides itself on having some of the lowest tuition rates of any accredited institution of higher education in Utah, at just $1,076 per semester (for year of 2009-2010).
The 1985 Snow College football team went undefeated and won the national championship, with the team inducted into the NJCAA Hall of Fame in 2010.
- Public, At least 2 but less than 4 years
- $9,196.00 avg tuition
150 E College Ave
Ephraim, UT 84627
Areas of Study:
- Agriculture, Agriculture Operations, And Related Sciences
- Architecture And Related Services
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business, Management, Marketing, And Related Support Services
- Communication, Journalism, And Related Programs
- Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- Construction Trades
- Engineering Technologies And Engineering Related Fields
- English Language And Literature/Letters
- Family And Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences
- Foreign Languages, Literatures, And Linguistics
- Health Professions And Related Programs
- Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting And Related Protective Services
- Legal Professions And Studies
- Liberal Arts And Sciences, General Studies And Humanities
- Mathematics And Statistics
- Mechanic And Repair Technologies/Technicians
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Natural Resources And Conservation
- Personal And Culinary Services
- Philosophy And Religious Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Precision Production
- Public Administration And Social Service Professions
- Social Sciences
- Visual And Performing Arts
Schools Near Snow College
|Utah State University-College of Eastern Utah||44.9mi|
|American Beauty Academy||47.9mi|
|ImageWorks Academy of Hair Design||52.7mi|
|Acaydia School of Aesthetics||60.6mi|
|Paul Mitchell the School-Provo||60.9mi|
|Brigham Young University-Provo||61.6mi|
|Marinello Schools of Beauty-Provo||62.5mi|
|Stevens-Henager College of Business-Provo||63.2mi|
|Utah Valley University||63.9mi|