Seabury-Western Theological Seminary is a seminary of The Episcopal Church, located in Evanston, Illinois. It was formed in 1933 by a merger of Western Theological Seminary of Evanston (founded in 1883 in Chicago), and Seabury Divinity School of Faribault, Minnesota (founded in 1858). The new seminary endeavored to hold in tension the "High Church" and "Low Church" identities of its predecessors. However, for most of its history, SWTS occupied a place within Anglican churchmanship akin to that of The General Theological Seminary in New York: a liturgical bent toward Anglo-Catholic practices and an acceptance of modern theology and social tolerance.
As of the fall of 2008 the seminary no longer matriculates students for the traditional Master of Divinity degree. In 2009 Seabury's property was acquired by Northwestern University and the various rooms are now used by the university. In March 2012, the Boards of Seabury-Western and of Bexley Hall Seminary in Bexley, Ohio, voted to federate.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.