North Central Michigan College (NCMC) is Michigan's 12th community college; it was established in 1958 in Petoskey, Michigan.
Development of the current campus began in 1962, when the college bought 10 acres (40,000 m2) of land, and later 120 adjacent acres (known locally as the "Russian Swamp"—now the college’s natural area) on Howard Street. By 1963 the first buildings were completed and some classes were held on the new campus at 1515 Howard Street. A chemistry building, heating plant and temporary library were the first structures to be built, and over the next few years more land was purchased for additional facilities. Most buildings were constructed in the late 1960s. The Library/Conference Center was added in 1984.
The latest addition to the campus is the 71,000-square-foot (6,600 m2) Student and Community Resource Center, completed in 2001. The Center has physical education and recreation facilities, an expanded college bookstore, and the College’s Learning Support Services, which include open computer labs, a tutoring center, assessment and testing facilities, and study areas.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.