The University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee (also known as UW–Milwaukee, UWM or Milwaukee) is a public urban research university located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in the United States. It is the largest university in the Milwaukee metropolitan area and a member of the University of Wisconsin System. It is also one of the two doctoral degree-granting public universities and the second largest university in Wisconsin.
The University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee has a total student enrollment of 30,502 and 1,623 faculty members. It is located in Milwaukee's upper East Side close to Lake Michigan, and is home to the only graduate school of freshwater science in the U.S., the largest School of Architecture, College of Nursing and College of Health Sciences in the State of Wisconsin. The University consists of 14 schools and colleges, and 70 academic centers, institutes and laboratory facilities. It offers a total of 181 degree programs, including 94 bachelor's, 53 master's and 33 doctorate degrees.
The university is categorized as an RU/H Research University (high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. In the year 2010, the university had a total research expenditure of 68 million US Dollars and ranked 189th among US research universities by total research expenditure in 2007.
The university's athletic teams are called the Panthers. A total of 15 Panther athletic teams compete in NCAA Division I. Panthers have won the James J. McCafferty Trophy as the Horizon League's all-sports champions six times since 2000 and are the reigning champions. Milwaukee also passed Notre Dame for the all-time lead in Horizon League Championships with 112.
- Public, Four or more years
- $17,398.00 avg tuition
2200 E Kenwood Blvd
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413
Areas of Study:
- Architecture And Related Services
- Area, Ethnic, Cultural, Gender, And Group Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business, Management, Marketing, And Related Support Services
- Communication, Journalism, And Related Programs
- Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- English Language And Literature/Letters
- Foreign Languages, Literatures, And Linguistics
- Health Professions And Related Programs
- Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting And Related Protective Services
- Liberal Arts And Sciences, General Studies And Humanities
- Library Science
- Mathematics And Statistics
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Natural Resources And Conservation
- Parks, Recreation, Leisure, And Fitness Studies
- Philosophy And Religious Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Public Administration And Social Service Professions
- Social Sciences
- Visual And Performing Arts