The University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) is a private Catholic university located within the city of San Antonio and the town of Alamo Heights in the U.S. state of Texas.
The campus is located on 154 acres (0.6 km2) with notable campus extensions in the People's Republic of China also called "China Incarnate Word" and in Mexico called the "Centro Universitario Incarnate Word". The University has over 93 Sister schools around the world and its study abroad program is unmatched in the San Antonio area. One of the more popular programs is the John Cabot University study abroad program in Rome, Italy. As of Fall 2009, the university was the largest Catholic university and the fourth largest private university in the state of Texas.
Incarnate Word was founded in 1881 by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word who came to San Antonio at the request of Bishop Claude Dubuis. They founded several schools, hospitals, and academies.
In keeping with the spirit of charity all students who graduate from UIW are required to volunteer a certain number of hours in the community before graduating.
The University is home to the Rosenberg School of Optometry, the Feik School of Pharmacy, the AT&T Math, Science, & Engineering center, The Dreeben School of Education, The H.E.B. School of Business, The Christus Santa Rosa Nursing School, and the School of Interactive Media & Design. The University also participates with E-Army-U, the U.S. Army's online portal for e-learning, and offers the Universe Online program for online adult education.
The University also operates an all-girls high school, Incarnate Word High School, as well as a co-educational high school, St. Anthony Catholic. It also operates two Elementary schools, St. Anthony's and St. Peter Prince of the Apostles, through its brainpower connection program.
Newly constructed buildings include the Pharmacy school and the "Hillside" dormitory, opened in fall of 2007. The Tom Benson Field House and Stadium, the Hillside II (later renamed Joeris) dormitory and the new Ancira Tower parking garage opened and were dedicated in fall of 2008. The remodeling of the Fine arts building, Administration building, and Construction of a new Student Center were completed in 2010. An Optometry School was opened in 2009. The school is in the Medical Center Area on Datapoint Drive,San Antonio.
The University of the Incarnate Word also offers a program called ADCAP (Adult Degree Completion Program) that meets at nights and on weekends, helping those who work full time or who are unable to attend during the day achieve their degrees in an accelerated environment. Most classes last 8 – 10 weeks. The ADCAP classes are also eligible for financial aid such as Pell Grants and student loans.
- Private not for profit, Four or more years
- $21,900.00 avg tuition
San Antonio, TX 78209
Areas of Study:
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business, Management, Marketing, And Related Support Services
- Communication, Journalism, And Related Programs
- Communications Technologies/Technicians And Support Services
- Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- Engineering Technologies And Engineering Related Fields
- English Language And Literature/Letters
- Family And Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences
- Foreign Languages, Literatures, And Linguistics
- Health Professions And Related Programs
- Liberal Arts And Sciences, General Studies And Humanities
- Mathematics And Statistics
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Natural Resources And Conservation
- Parks, Recreation, Leisure, And Fitness Studies
- Philosophy And Religious Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Visual And Performing Arts
University of the Incarnate Word Scholarships
|Big Red iAvance! Scholarship||$1,000||May 25, 2018|