Coordinates: 32°23′49.44″N 97°19′38.52″W / 32.3970667°N 97.3273667°W / 32.3970667; -97.3273667
Southwestern Adventist University (SWAU) is one of 13 colleges and universities in the United States affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It was founded in 1893 as Keene Industrial Academy. It adopted its current name in 1996.
In 1892, the purchase of property for the school was financed by Seventh-day Adventists in the Dallas area. The first school building was completed in 1894 which was also used as a church. School opened with 56 students.
SWAU has received full accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools through 2016. It is religiously accredited by the Adventist Accrediting Association. The nursing program is approved by the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license