Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana, or Southern University at Shreveport (SUS) is a two-year campus of the historically black Southern University System, located in Shreveport, the U.S. state of Louisiana. SUS, pushed to fruition by the administration of Governor John J. McKeithen, opened for instruction on September 19, 1967. At the same time a second two-year institution, Louisiana State University at Shreveport, also opened. However, LSUS later became a four-year campus, but SUS remains a two-year facility. The university is a member-school of Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
The primary emphasis of SUS was to serve the Shreveport-Bossier City area. SUS is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees.
On October 28, 1974, the Louisiana Board of Regents, then called the Coordinating Council for Higher Education, granted to the institution approval for six associate's degree programs in business, humanities, medical office assistant, natural sciences, office administration and social sciences. In 1978, it added an associate's degree in medical laboratory technology.
Among the buildings at SUS is Stone Hall, named for the late Southern University System president Jesse N. Stone, Jr.. Inside Stone Hall is the J. Bennett Johnston, Jr. Video Conferencing Center, named for the former U.S. senator from Shreveport.
- Public, At least 2 but less than 4 years
- $4,126.00 avg tuition
3050 Martin Luther King Dr
Shreveport, LA 71107
Areas of Study:
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business, Management, Marketing, And Related Support Services
- Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- Engineering Technologies And Engineering Related Fields
- Family And Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences
- Health Professions And Related Programs
- Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting And Related Protective Services
- Liberal Arts And Sciences, General Studies And Humanities
- Mathematics And Statistics
- Personal And Culinary Services
Southern University at Shreveport Scholarships
|Joshua David Gardner Memorial Scholarship||$2,000||April 30, 2018|