San Jose State University (often abbreviated San Jose State or SJSU) is a public university located in San Jose, California, United States. It is the founding campus of the California State University (CSU) system, and holds the distinction of being the oldest public institution of higher education on the West Coast of the United States.
Located in downtown San Jose, the SJSU main campus is situated on 154 acres (62 ha), or roughly 19 square blocks. SJSU offers 134 bachelor's and master's degrees with 110 concentrations. The university offers three joint doctoral programs and will start its first independent doctoral degree in Education in 2013. SJSU's total enrollment was 30,448 in 2012, including over 4,700 graduate students, the largest graduate student enrollment of any campus in the CSU system.
SJSU's student population is one of the most ethnically diverse in the nation, with large Asian and Hispanic enrollments, as well as the highest foreign student enrollment of all master's institutions in the United States.
Popular undergraduate majors at SJSU include business, engineering, visual and performing arts, nursing, psychology, justice studies, biology, kinesiology, journalism and computer science. Popular fields of study among graduate students include engineering, library and information science, education and social work.
San Jose State University claims to provide Silicon Valley firms with more engineering, computer science and business graduates than any other college or university, and philanthropic support of SJSU is among the highest in the CSU system.
SJSU sports teams are known as the Spartans, and compete in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in NCAA Division I.
- Public, Four or more years
- $16,632.00 avg tuition
1 Washington Sq
San Jose, CA 95192-0001
Areas of Study:
- Architecture And Related Services
- Area, Ethnic, Cultural, Gender, And Group Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Business, Management, Marketing, And Related Support Services
- Communication, Journalism, And Related Programs
- Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- Engineering Technologies And Engineering Related Fields
- English Language And Literature/Letters
- Foreign Languages, Literatures, And Linguistics
- Health Professions And Related Programs
- Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting And Related Protective Services
- Liberal Arts And Sciences, General Studies And Humanities
- Library Science
- Mathematics And Statistics
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Natural Resources And Conservation
- Parks, Recreation, Leisure, And Fitness Studies
- Philosophy And Religious Studies
- Physical Sciences
- Public Administration And Social Service Professions
- Social Sciences
- Transportation And Materials Moving
- Visual And Performing Arts
San Jose State University Scholarships
|Big Red iAvance! Scholarship||$1,000||May 25, 2018|
Schools Near San Jose State University
|Institute of Medical Education||0.7mi|
|International Technological University||0.8mi|
|San Jose City College||3.0mi|
|Santa Clara University||3.4mi|
|Marinello Schools of Beauty-Santa Clara||3.8mi|
|The National Hispanic University||4.0mi|
|Everest College-San Jose||4.4mi|
|Academy for Salon Professionals (The)||4.7mi|
|Heald College-San Jose||5.3mi|
|Institute for Business and Technology||5.4mi|
|University of Phoenix-Bay Area Campus||6.1mi|
|Evergreen Valley College||6.7mi|