San Francisco Conservatory of Music, formerly the California Conservatory of Music, founded in 1917, is a music school in San Francisco with an enrollment of about 400 students. It was launched by Ada Clement and Lillian Hodgehead in the remodeled home of Lillian's parents on Sacramento Street. It was called the Ada Clement Piano School. Wthin a few years, additional classes were offered for instruments, voice, composition and theory. In the late 1920s and early 1930s, the school was under the direction of Swiss-born composer Ernest Bloch. Two violinists, Isaac Stern (age 5) and Yehudi Menuhin (age 12) were welcomed into the school. Both Stern and Menuhin continued their relationship with the school throughout their lives.
Currently the school offers undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate degrees, as well as offering adult education and pre-college education. The only school of its kind on the west coast, it offers degrees in orchestral instruments, chamber music, composition, and conducting. Faculty include members of the San Francisco Symphony and San Francisco Opera orchestras, as well as many internationally recognized soloists, chamber musicians, and composers.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license