Piedmont College is a private liberal arts institution founded in 1897 to serve residents of the Appalachian area of northeast Georgia, USA. When the college was first founded, it was established as the J.S. Green Collegiate Institute named after a local banker. In 1899, the name was shortened to the J.S. Green College. By 1902, the college was formally renamed Piedmont College.
Today, with campuses located in Demorest and Athens, the college provides undergraduate and graduate degree programs for about 2,000 students from across Georgia and around the world. While many students come from across the world, 10% of Piedmont's students come from the Habersham County area through Piedmont's Neighborhood Grant Program.
Piedmont maintains religious affiliation with two bodies: the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches and the United Church of Christ. Congregationalists took over the school from the Methodists in the early 20th century.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license