Oakland University is a public university co-founded by Matilda Dodge Wilson and John A. Hannah whose 1,500-acre (6.1 km2) campus is located in central Oakland County, Michigan, United States in the cities of Auburn Hills and Rochester Hills. It is the only major research university in Oakland County, from which OU derives its name. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has classified OU as a Doctoral Research University.
Oakland University was initially under the banner of Michigan State University. Michigan State University–Oakland, or MSU-O as it was called, opened in 1959 with 570 students and three buildings. In 1963, MSU-O became known as Oakland University.