New Brunswick Theological Seminary is a professional and graduate school founded in 1784, in New Brunswick, New Jersey, to educate ministers for the congregations of the Reformed Church in America.
Moving first to Brooklyn, New York in 1796 and subsequently to New Brunswick, New Jersey in 1810, the institution in its formative years shared facilities with Queen's College (now Rutgers University) and the Queen's College Grammar School (now Rutgers Preparatory School) in New Brunswick. In 1856, with the college and seminary both expanding, and facilities overcrowding, the seminary decided to relocate to a 7 acre (28,000 m²) tract of land less than one half mile (800 m) away. Today, the New Brunswick Theological Seminary offers classes through two campuses, the first in New Brunswick, New Jersey and since 1986 on the campus of St. John's University in Jamaica, Queens, New York.
The New Brunswick Theological Seminary offers courses and programs leading to the Master of Divinity (M.Div.), Master of Arts in Theological Studies (MATS) and Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) degree and offers cross-registration and joint programs with Rutgers University, St. John's University, Princeton Theological Seminary, Western Theological Seminary, and the Wesley Theological Seminary.
The Gardner Sage Library, dedicated in 1875, contains over one hundred fifty thousand books and over ten thousand bound periodicals, including three hundred periodicals on current subscription. More than one thousand additional publications are accessioned annually. This collection of theological works is ecumenically rich, and supplemented by unusually strong resources in the Classics, fine arts, social sciences, Dutch and Dutch Colonial Studies, and Reformed Church History. This collection is augmented by reciprocal borrowing rights with the Rutgers University library system (over 10.5 million holdings).