Mount Carmel West was a primary care hospital located in Franklinton, Columbus, Ohio on a 37-acre campus. Mount Carmel West was the oldest hospital in the Mount Carmel Health System founded in 1886 by the Sisters of the Holy Cross. The hospital was situated between Ohio State Route 16 and U.S. Route 62, and accessible from exits on Interstate 70 and Ohio State Route 315. The Mount Carmel College of Nursing is located on hospital grounds. U.S. News & World Report regionally ranked Mount Carmel East and West Hospitals the number 18 best performing among hospitals in Ohio and high performing in four specialties and procedures.
Mount Carmel West was a tertiary hospital with many specialties located on its grounds, but in late 2016 a $46 million plan was announced to transform it into an outpatient facility with a fully functioning emergency department in a new location on the premises. The inpatient services will be moved to a new location under construction in Grove City while the Level II Trauma Center will be moved to the existing Mount Carmel East hospital near Reynoldsburg. The majority of the hospital will be demolished with demolition plans to be completed in 2020. This will see the expansion of the College of Nursing and closure of the inpatient Psychiatry unit with it being moved to a new facility near Mount Carmel East.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license