Morgan State University (commonly referred to as MSU, Morgan State, or Morgan) is a historically black college (HBCU) in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. Morgan is Maryland's designated public urban university and the largest HBCU in Maryland. In 1890 the university, formerly known as the "Centenary Biblical Institute", changed its name to Morgan State University to honor Reverend Lyttleton Morgan, the first chairman of its Board of Trustees who had donated land to the college. MSU is a member of Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
Although a public institution, MSU is not a part of the University System of Maryland; the school opted out and possesses its own governing Board of Regents.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.