Montana Tech is a university located in Butte, Montana. It was founded in 1900, originally as Montana State School of Mines with two degrees, mining engineering and electrical engineering. The "M" on the Big Butte overlooking the city stands for "Miners", and it was built in 1910. A statue of Marcus Daly stands at the entrance to Montana Tech. The statue originally stood by the Butte post office in 1906, but it was moved to Montana Tech in 1941. On January 25, 1965, the Montana School of Mines became the Montana College of Mineral Science and Technology. In 1994, Montana consolidated the university system and the school joined the University of Montana and was renamed the Montana Tech of The University of Montana.
Montana Tech offers degree programs in four colleges and schools. The School of Mines and Engineering offers courses in engineering and industrial hygiene. The College of Letters Sciences and Professional Studies offers liberal arts curricula including Technical Communication and Computer Science. The Graduate School offers post-graduate education complementary with the undergraduate programs. Highlands College offers 2-year programs in occupational training and education. Total enrollment in 2009 was 2794 students, and this included 2660 undergraduate and 134 graduate students.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.