East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania is a public university located in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. It is one of the 14 state universities that compose the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE). It is commonly referred to as ESU by its students and members of the community. The university began its existence in 1893 as a preparatory school for teachers called the East Stroudsburg Normal School, which was private. Ownership was transferred to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1920, and the name was changed to East Stroudsburg State Normal School. In 1927, the right to confer the degrees of bachelor of science in education and bachelor of science in health education was granted, and the school's name then became the East Stroudsburg State Teachers College. In 1960, additional curricula were added and the school's name then became East Stroudsburg State College. The State System of Higher Education was authorized by Senate Bill 506 to assumed its current name in 1983.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license