Denmark Technical College is a two-year college in Denmark, South Carolina. The college primarily serves Bamberg, Barnwell and Allendale counties in South Carolina.
The school, which is state-supported, was established in 1947 as the South Carolina Area Trade School to serve African-American students in the region. Mr. Lorry H. "Broad River" Dawkins was founding principal. The SC Area Trade School offered courses in such fields as nutritional sciences (cooking and baking); business and secretarial sciences; building sciences (carpentry, painting, plumbing, brick masonry, electrical sciences); air-conditioning and refrigeration; barbering and cosmetology; auto mechanics, shoe repair, and seamstress sciences and tailoring. The school's motto was "He Who Hath a Trade Hath an Estate"; its sports teams were known as "the SCATS". Alumni of the S C Area Trade School have established successful businesses across the United States. Nationally known comedian J. Anthony Brown, who received a degree in Tailoring, is a distinguished graduate.
The current president is Dr. Joann Boyd-Scotland. The most recent past presidents were Dr. Michael Townsend,Sr., formerly vice president of Milwaukee Area Technical College’s Mequon Campus in Wisconsin. and Dr. John Waddell, who departed in August 2009.
In 1989, the college was identified as one of several in South Carolina with high default rates on federally guaranteed student loans.
- Public, At least 2 but less than 4 years
- $4,560.00 avg tuition
1126 Solomon Blatt Blvd
Denmark, SC 29042
Areas of Study:
- Business, Management, Marketing, And Related Support Services
- Computer And Information Sciences And Support Services
- Engineering Technologies And Engineering Related Fields
- Family And Consumer Sciences/Human Sciences
- Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting And Related Protective Services
- Liberal Arts And Sciences, General Studies And Humanities
- Mechanic And Repair Technologies/Technicians
- Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies
- Public Administration And Social Service Professions
Schools Near Denmark Technical College
|South Carolina State University||20.2mi|
|University of South Carolina-Salkehatchie||23.2mi|
|Orangeburg Calhoun Technical College||23.3mi|
|Lacy Cosmetology School-Aiken||35.6mi|
|Aiken School of Cosmetology||38.3mi|
|Cosmetic Arts Institute||40.3mi|
|University of South Carolina-Aiken||41.3mi|
|Midlands Technical College||44.0mi|
|Aiken Technical College||44.2mi|
|Lacy Cosmetology School-Lexington||47.3mi|
|Paul Mitchell The School-Columbia||47.6mi|
|University of South Carolina-Columbia||48.2mi|