The Cleveland Institute of Art is a private college of art and design located in University Circle, Cleveland, Ohio. It is one of the nation’s leading independent colleges of art and design. It was founded in 1882 as the Western Reserve School of Design for Women. From 1891 until 1948 it was named Cleveland School of Art. During the Great Depression the school participated in the WPA Federal Art Project in the Cleveland area. During World War II mapmaking and medical drawing were added to the usual curriculum in drawing, painting and sculpture.
Cleveland Institute of Art is named one of the best design schools in the world by Bloomberg Businessweek and a member of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design（AICAD），a consortium of 36 leading private art schools in the United States. It is accredited by North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Association of Schools of Art and Design and is also a member of Northeast Ohio Council on Higher Education.
In addition to being an historically acclaimed art school and arguably a valuable component of the cultural community of University Circle, the Cleveland Institute of Art also houses the main exposition center of the Cleveland Cinematheque. It counts among its graduates such notable artists as Viktor Schreckengost, Richard Anuszkiewicz, Robert Mangold, Julian Stanczak, Winifred Lutz, Eric Stoddard and Dana Schutz.
* Description and images provided by
CC-BY-SA 3.0 license