Clever Ways to Answer Pesky Questions About Post-Grad Plans
Combat the dreaded question with these comebacks.
March 30, 2016
Perhaps one of the worst questions a student can be asked is, “What are you doing after graduation?” It’s dreaded – perhaps the equivalent to the single adult’s, “Are you dating anyone yet?”
Questions like these almost never have the answer you wish you could give and, therefore, shoot at you like arrows you wish you could avoid.
But, what if you were prepared for the dreaded post-grad inquiry? Then you could fight off the nosy crowds in one swift swoop!
Next time Gladys Kravitz is lurking at your door wanting to know the plans for your future, try one of these scenarios on for size.
Sarcastic and Silly Ways to Answer
“What are you doing after graduation?”
1. Change the subject. Look, a bird!
2. Tell the person you’ve always been interested in running for office and to keep an eye out for your name on an upcoming local election ballot.
3. In a solemn voice, tell the person you are against hunger and plan to end it.
5. Say you’re toying with the idea of furthering your education. (Regardless of the truth. If they press you for what you’re going to study, refer to number 1 or number 4.)
6. Tell the person you’re going to try your hand at writing for awhile (You practically text all day anyway, right?)
7. Say you’re going into “Career Research Services.” Just forget to mention that the only client you’re researching a career for is yourself.
8. Let them know you’re going into “Food Industry Management.” Nobody needs to know that means you’re on the day shift at Red Robin – not that that’s anything to be ashamed of in the first place.
9. Share that you’re considering traveling the world until your funds run out. Who knows? They may even decide to donate to the cause!
10. You’re working with underprivileged children. (Those kids you babysit only have one iPad, right?)
If none of these work and, if all else fails, the truth works just as well.
Especially because there’s nothing to be ashamed of – you will end up where you need to be exactly when you need to be there.
Need money to pay for college?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants and awards for which they actually qualify. Sign up today to get started. You'll find scholarships like the Course Hero's $5,000 Scholarship, and easy to enter scholarships like Niche $2,000 No Essay Scholarship.