College Planning for High School Sophomores
While sophomore year isn’t the time to begin your full-blown college search, it’s the perfect time to get a jump start on the process. During this year, you can transform yourself into a more desirable applicant and assess what type of school suits your academic and career pursuits.
Following these simple tips will propel you down the path for college admissions success.
- Look for leadership roles in clubs and activities.
- Start thinking about college choice.
- Make an appointment to talk with your guidance counselor.
- Strengthen relationships with teachers, counselors and activity advisors. This will help you obtain recommendations for college later.
- Become familiar with the standardized tests you need to take.
- Attend college fairs and speak to on-campus college representatives.
- Research summer programs for college prep.
- Begin to discuss college costs with parents/guardians.
- Meet with your school’s guidance counselor to discuss plans for summer and next fall.
- Apply for summer jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities.
- Investigate your financial aid options. Register with Fastweb.com to find money for college.