College Prowler $2000 No Essay Scholarship - Appy Now!

Colleges >> Browse Articles >> Applications


The Admissions Glossary

The Admissions Glossary

By Fastweb staff

March 04, 2009

Admit-Deny: Some schools will admit marginal students, but not award them any financial aid. Very few schools use admit-deny, because studies have shown that lack of sufficient financial aid is a key factor in the performance of marginal students.

Associate Degree: A degree which is granted to a student who has completed a two-year program (64-66 credits) and is equivalent to the first two years of study for a Bachelor degree. An Associate degree may be further specified as an Associate of Arts (AA) (granted to students who have completed a two-year program in liberal arts) or an Associate of Science (AS) (granted to students who have completed a two-year program in the sciences).

Associate of Applied Science (AAS): A degree that is granted to students who have completed a technology or vocational program. It is generally considered a terminal degree as it prepares students for immediate employment upon graduation. In some cases, the credits earned while completing an AAS can be transferred to a Bachelor degree, but only when specified by the school or program in question.

Award Letter: The form which notifies the student that financial aid is being offered. The award letter usually provides information about the types and amounts of aid offered, as well as specific program information, student responsibilities and the conditions which govern the award. The Award Letter often includes an Acceptance Form.

Bachelor or Baccalaureate Degree: A degree which is granted to a student who has completed a four-year program (120-128 credits). The most common types of Bachelor degree programs include the Bachelor of Arts (BA) (for students of liberal arts) and the Bachelor of Sciences (BS) (for students of science).

Campus-Based Programs: The term commonly applied to those U.S. Department of Education federal student aid programs administered directly by institutions of postsecondary education. Includes: Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) and Federal Work-Study (FWS) programs.

Commuter Student: A student who does not live on campus; typically "commuter" refers to a student living at home with his or her parents, but can also mean any student who lives off-campus.

Cooperative Education: In a cooperative education program, the student spends some time engaged in employment related to their major in addition to regular classroom study.

Discuss this article on Facebook