Go Global: International Internships
International internships can give you experience you've never dreamed of.
By Roxana Hadad
January 22, 2013
Private corporations like Proctor & Gamble and Coca-Cola can also be a good source of internships. Larger companies may offer more clout, but smaller local firms are likely to be less competitive. Most internships with private industry pay enough to cover basic living expenses.
Non-government organizations (NGOs) are non-profit organizations that focus on topics ranging from human rights to research. For more information about NGO internships, visit Ngo.org.
International educational organizations are always looking for English-speaking teachers. You usually need a bachelor’s degree and must commit to at least one year of service. Check out these programs:
- Teach English in Japan through the Japan Exchange and Teaching Program.
- The International Educators’ Network Association offers a searchable database of overseas teaching opportunities.
Get Ready to Go
If you want to do an internship abroad, you need to plan ahead. Deadlines for summer programs can be as early as November 1. And make sure you have time to:
- Get a passport, work permit and visa (if applicable).
- Plan how you are going to cover living and traveling expenses. Many internships are unpaid.
- Clearly define your job duties with the sponsoring organization.
- Find out from the country’s consulate if you need any vaccinations.
- Ask about opportunities for academic credit or scholarships.
- Ask the sponsoring organization to help you locate housing.
- Familiarize yourself with the language through classes or tapes.
- Research the country’s history, politics, economy, traditions, etc.
Interning abroad proves you have initiative, experience and a global perspective. Your resume will get a boost, and you’ll have the opportunity of a lifetime.
Need money to pay for college?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants and awards for which they actually qualify. Sign up today to get started. You'll find scholarships like the Course Hero's $5,000 Scholarship, and easy to enter scholarships like Niche $1,000 October Scholarship.