7 Colleges with Seriously Good Eats
Is your campus one of the healthiest in the country?
By Kathryn Knight Randolph
November 26, 2014
Most students don’t go to college for the campus food, but when your school is serving bad food day in and day out, it can start to have an effect on the entire experience. Think about it: for most students, the meal plan at their college is the only outlet they have for eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. When that fails to satisfy, it can be difficult – and extremely expensive – to find food elsewhere.
Fortunately, schools are starting to catch on and offer more tantalizing and healthy food options for students. Let’s hope they continue to follow the lead of these top seven foodie campuses, as chosen by HerCampus.
• Sources food from local places.
• Posts calorie information in the dining hall.
• Caters to students with food allergies by giving them their own special station in the cafeteria.
• Keeps a dietician on staff to help students make healthy eating choices.
• Provides information on local food trucks with sustainable ingredients and cooking practices.
• Features a creative menu with items like Mandalay Rainbow Salad and Multicolored Vegetarian Bahn Mi.
• Options for vegetarians, vegan and gluten-free.
• Recipes available online so students can create their own healthy options.
• Sources from local farms.
• Grows over 50 organic vegetables in the campus garden.
• Provides opportunities for students to farm the campus garden.
• Options for vegetarians.
• Hosts an out-of-this-world brunch with a make-your-own-omelet station.
• Features labeling system that notifies you if your food contains dairy, eggs, nuts, shellfish, soy and wheat.
• Provides entire meals with less than 10% saturated fats, low sodium and lean-meat or plant-based protein.
• Hosts small cooking classes centered around dieticians’ advice and cultural themes.
• Boasts some of the highest quality food on a college campus according to its students.
• Provides labels that indicate meals that have less than 30% calories from fat.
• Includes vegetarian and vegan meal options.
• Hosts a weekly farmers market that is exclusive to students on the college campus.
• Features plenty of green options like kale, chard and steamed vegetables with a variety of sauces on the side.
• Includes an extensive salad bar in the residential dining hall.
• Keeps a dietician on staff who acts as a resource for students to eat well
• Provides a full listing of meals and nutritional information for each dining hall online.
• Cooks with sustainable products.
• Prepares meals as close to mealtime as possible.
• Educates its students on nutrition and best cooking practices.
• Maintains a culturally diverse menu.
• Features everything from Southern comfort food to fresh, organic meals.
Need Money to Pay for College?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants, and internships, for which they actually qualify. You'll find scholarships like the Sallie Mae's $1,000 Plan for College Sweepstakes, and easy to enter scholarships like Niche $2,000 No Essay Scholarship, and internships with companies like Apple, Google, Dreamworks, and even NASA!