European Spring Break
Europe spring break isn't as expensive as you think.
By Kathryn Knight Randolph
February 18, 2011
Spending spring break in Europe isn’t as expensive as you think. In fact, you can get a flight as well as five nights in a hotel for less than $500. You just have to know where to look.
Travel tips for:
Hop across the pond this spring break to foggy London town. Heralded as one of the greatest European cities, it’s the perfect destination for first-time European travelers.
London isn’t a city that will break the bank either. Here’s what you can do for free:
- Peruse the halls of the British Museum, Tate Modern and the National Gallery
- Take in the Thames, Tower and London Bridges, and the iconic exterior views of Parliament and Westminster free of charge as well
Things to splurge on:
- Tour of the Tower of London, a favorite “haunt” of Henry VIII’s beheaded wives
- A show in the West End, the equivalent of seeing a show on Broadway in NYC
- The Portobello Road Market, the world-famous antiques and vintage fair in London’s famous Notting Hill neighborhood
Student packages with studentuniverse.com start at $336 and $485 with statravel.com.
There’s nothing quite like Paris in the spring – you know that’s true when there are movies and songs to prove it. So visiting Paris over spring break seems like a no-brainer.
While there aren’t many free attractions in Paris, you could spend days just walking the cobblestone streets and taking professional-grade photos, regardless of your skill level.
Here are some of our photo “pics” for Paris:
- Sacre Coeur and the nearby artist’s square of Montmarte
- The Eiffel Tower at night (it literally sparkles at the top of every hour)
- Any one of the bridges over the Seine
Things to splurge on:
- Trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower – the views of Paris don’t get better than this
- Art history lesson at the world’s greatest art museum, the Louvre
- Trip just outside the city to the Palace of Versailles
Student packages with studentuniverse.com start at $777 and $510 with statravel.com.
You don’t need to go to the beach to party, and Amsterdam proves that. It’s notorious for its nighttime reputation – from the Red Light District to the smoky coffeehouses.
Here’s what you can do for free:
- Free walking tour of the city through New Amsterdam Tours – it’s touted as one of the best free tours in Europe
Believe it or not, you can learn a thing or two in Amsterdam. Things to splurge on:
- Anne Frank House, the home she and her family hid in during World War II
- Rijksmuseum, where you can see one of the most famous paintings in the world, The Nightwatch by Rembrandt
- Van Gogh Museum, which contains the largest amount of Van Gogh paintings in the world
Student packages with studentuniverse.com start at $468 and $460 with statravel.com.
Anyone who’s ever been to Barcelona gushes about this city – even Europeans, who hardly gush about anything. And for spring breakers, it delivers a combination of posh, European metropolis with stunning Mediterranean beaches.
Sight-see for free:
- Montjuic , or Hill of the Jews, offers breathtaking views of the city and the Mediterranean Sea – take the subway halfway up the hill and walk the rest of the way up to the Castell de Montjuic but descend along the backside to see the 1992 Olympic Village as well as the Palau Nacional, the National Art Museum of Catalonia
- La Rambla, an eclectic pedestrian walkway near the Gothic neighborhood selling everything from pet rabbits to Barcelona souvenirs
- Park Guell, the beautiful, Dr. Seuss-like park designed by the legendary Barcelona architect, Antoni Gaudi
What to splurge on:
- Sagrada Familia, Barcelona’s iconic cathedral that has been under construction since 1882 and won’t be completed until 2026
Spring break packages to Barcelona start at $555 with statravel.com.
Need Money to Pay for College?
Every semester, Fastweb helps thousands of students pay for school by matching them to scholarships, grants, and internships, for which they actually qualify. You'll find scholarships like the Sallie Mae's $1,000 Plan for College Sweepstakes, and easy to enter scholarships like Niche $2,000 No Essay Scholarship, and internships with companies like Apple, Google, Dreamworks, and even NASA!