$5,000 Discover® Student Loans Scholarship
No essay required. Students and parents are eligible to win.
1. Think of Who You Really KnowChances are, if you really know and like a teacher or supervisor, he or she probably feels the same way about you. And, if you know someone well, asking for a letter of recommendation will seem much less intimidating.
Course Hero $4k College Giveaway
Easy to Enter, No Essay Needed
2. Give People TimeWhen asking for a letter of recommendation, make sure you provide a decent amount of time for the person to write it. Sure, your nerves may be getting the best of you. Instead of simply walking by the teacher’s classroom nervously, wondering how the teacher will respond, go ask before it is too late!
Niche No Essay Scholarship
Quick and Easy to Apply for a $2,000 Scholarship
3. Don’t Practice Too MuchThis isn’t to say that you shouldn’t practice what you want to say in interviews, because you should. However, don’t take it to the point that you try to memorize what you want to say, as you’ll be more likely to stumble over your words and you'll risk not sounding genuine. If you think about what means a lot to you and what you’re most passionate about without planning every sentence, you’ll be more likely to speak with ease and show your personality.
4. Say It AloudWhen you do practice for interviews, instead of thinking everything through, say it aloud so you grow comfortable with speaking about yourself, as well as your accomplishments. Try talking to someone about your goals to prepare yourself.
5. Relax a LittleRemember that people know you’re applying to college. Teachers shouldn’t be mad or annoyed if you politely ask for letters of recommendation; they know that college applications require these letters. If they don’t have time to write one or they don’t feel as though they’re the best person to write it, don’t take it personally. Whatever the reason, you can still ask someone else to write you a letter.
6. Worry LessThis may not seem possible now, but the college application process is so much less stressful without constant worries. Not worrying about an interview at your dream school may seem unrealistic, but stop and take a deep breath. Remind yourself that you’re awesome. You’re passionate. This is your chance to show it. Don’t let your nerves get in the way.
- Obtaining College Recommendation Letters
- Eyes on the Prize: Recommendation Letters
- Letters of Recommendation for Your College Application