Upper Sandusky is a city and the county seat of Wyandot County, Ohio, United States, along the upper Sandusky River, which flows north to Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie. The city is approximately 59 mi (96 km) south of Toledo and 62 mi (99 km) north of Columbus. The population was 6,596 at the 2010 census. The city was named for an earlier Wyandot Indian village of the same name, which was located nearby.
Upper Sandusky is rich in history. Its origins as a European-American settlement date to the early 1780s, soon after the American Revolutionary War. It was part of a reserve for Native Americans, and numerous indigenous Wyandot kept their settlements here until 1842, when they were relocated under the Indian Removal Act to west of the Mississippi River. Upper Sandusky was designated as the Wyandot County seat in 1843. It was named "Upper" because it is located near the headwaters of the Sandusky River; Sandusky, Ohio is located at the mouth of the same river, some 50 miles (80 km) away to the north at Sandusky Bay. The head of city government, as of 2013, is Mayor Scott Washburn.