Powhatan is a census-designated place in and the county seat of Powhatan County, Virginia, United States. Powhatan was initially known as Scottville (after Revolutionary war hero General Charles Scott) for a brief time, and historically has also been known as Powhatan Court House and Powhatan Courthouse. Powhatan is named after Chief Powhatan, father of Pocahontas.
The first official court of Powhatan was held at Mosby Tavern, the home of Benjamin Mosby and his son, Littleberry Mosby.
Powhatan was established as a community in May 1777, but there were several buildings already in existence at that time. One of these locations is the Powhatan Plantation which was built in 1735. The plantation still exists today.
The Shiloh Baptist Church in Powhatan features the mural The Lord Over Jordan by Julien Binford, one of the artist's most famous works.