Pitcairn[pronunciation?] (pronounced locally as "Pitt-Karen") is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 15 miles (24 km) east of Pittsburgh, named for Robert Pitcairn, an official of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Early in the 20th century, Pitcairn was the site of large railroad yards and shops that employed nearly ten thousand men. The population increased from 2,601 in 1900 to 6,310 in 1940, but has since declined. The population was 3,689 at the 2010 census.