Opelousas, LA Area Scholarships | Fastweb

Opelousas, LA Area Scholarships

Opelousas (French:les Opelousas) is a small city in and the parish seat of St. Landry Parish, Louisiana, United States. Interstate 49 and U.S. Route 190 were constructed with a junction here. The population was 22,860 at the 2000 census. In 2004 the city annexed territory and population expected to give it more than 25,000 people in total. In the 2010 census, the population was 16,634. Opelousas is the principal city for the Opelousas-Eunice Micropolitan Statistical Area, which had an estimated population of 92,178 in 2008. Opelousas is also the third-largest city in the Lafayette-Acadiana Combined Statistical Area, which has a population of 537,947.

With an area of 7.5 square miles, Opelousas is the most densely populated incorporated city in Louisiana. Founded by French colonists in 1720, Opelousas is Louisiana's third-oldest city. The city served as a major trading post between New Orleans and Natchitoches in the 18th and 19th centuries. Historically an area of settlement by French Creoles, Creoles of color, and Acadians, Opelousas is the center of zydeco music. It celebrates its heritage at the Creole Heritage Folklife Center, one of the destinations on the new Louisiana African American Heritage Trail. It is also the location of the Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino.

The city calls itself "the spice capital of the world", with production and sale of seasonings such as Tony Chachere's products, Targil Seasonings, Savoie's cajun meats and products, and LouAna Cooking Oil. Opelousas was the site of one of the nation's two Yoohoo factories until it closed in 2009.

During the tenure of Sheriff Cat Doucet from 1936 to 1940 and 1952 to 1968, the section of Opelousas along Highway 190 was a haven of gambling and prostitution, from which profits he skimmed a take.

* Description and images provided by Wikipedia under CC-BY-SA 3.0 license. More

Schools in and around Opelousas, LA

Opelousas School of Cosmetology
Less than 2 years (below associate); Private for profit