Greenview is a village in Menard County, Illinois, United States. The population was 862 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Springfield, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Greenview was laid out in October 1857, by Menard County pioneer Willian Engle, on land originally owned by Charles Montgomery in section 23 of township 19 north, range 6 west of the Third Principal Meridian. It was named after William G. Greene of nearby Tallula Precinct, because he convinced the railroad to come through the town: located on the Chicago, Alton & St. Louis Railroad, Greenview was incorporated by a special act of the Illinois General Assembly on May 6, 1869, then re-incorporated under the new general municipal laws of the state in March 7, 1877.