Fort Gibson is a town in Muskogee County which has expanded into Cherokee County as it grew in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. The population was 4,154 at the 2010 census, an increase of 2.5 percent from 4,054 at the 2000 census. It is the location of Fort Gibson Historical Site and Fort Gibson National Cemetery and is located near the end of the Cherokees' Trail of Tears at Tahlequah, Oklahoma.
Colonel Matthew Arbuckle of the United States Army established Fort Gibson in 1824. The Army abandoned the fort in 1890. A recreation of the fort stands at the historic site that was built as a Works Progress Administration project between 1935 and 1939, at a different location then the original fort.
The town calls itself, "The Oldest Town in Oklahoma."