Elberta is a census-designated place (CDP) in Utah County, Utah, United States. It is part of the Provo–Orem Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 256 at the 2010 census. It is also known as "The Slant". It was founded as "Mt. Nebo". After the water failed in 1901 most of the early settlers moved away. It was purchased by Mr. Matthew B. Whitney, a native of New York, on November 7, 1907, and Mr. Whitney renamed it "Elberta" after the peach.