Boring is an unincorporated community in Baltimore County, Maryland, at the intersection of Old Hanover Road and Pleasant Grove Road, about 5 miles north of Reisterstown. An important stop on the Western Maryland Railroad, it is very small, consisting of about 40 houses, the Boring Methodist Church, Boring Volunteer Fire Company (organized in 1907,) and the Boring Post Office (ZIP Code: 21020).
It is known for its unusual name, which was not chosen for the pace of life, but for postmaster David Boring. The town was originally named Fairview, but the railroad asked the community to change its name, due to more than one Fairview on the rail line. It is unknown when this happened, but thought to be in the late 19th century.
The steps in front of the old country store, where the community's post office is now located, have become a popular stop for visitors, who pose there for photographs by a sign bearing the community's name. Its post office, with the community's distinctive name, opened on August 9, 1880.