Alexandria, MN Area Scholarships
Alexandria is a city in, and the county seat of, Douglas County, Minnesota, United States. First settled in 1858, it was named after Alexander and William Kinkead. The brothers were from Maryland. The form of the name was meant to be like that of Alexandria, Egypt, a center of learning and civilization.
The village of Alexandria was incorporated February 20, 1877. Its city charter was adopted in 1908, and it was incorporated as a city in 1909.
W.E. Hicks was pivotal to the early development of the town. He purchased the townsite in 1868 and established a mill, hotel, newspaper, and store. He donated property for a courthouse, jail, and two churches: Methodist and Congregational. He served as the first postmaster in 1858.
The first passenger to reach Alexandria arrived by train November 5, 1878.
The population was 11,070 at the 2010 census.
Alexandria is located near Interstate 94, along Minnesota State Highways 27 and 29. Lake Carlos State Park is ten miles north of Alexandria.
Alexandria, MN Scholarships
|Thomas M. Stetson Scholarship||$2,000||June 01, 2018|
Schools in and around Alexandria, MN
Alexandria Technical & Community College
At least 2 but less than 4 years; Public; $4,642 average out-state tuition; $4,642 average in-state tuition
University of Minnesota-Morris
Four or more years; Public; $11,322 average out-state tuition; $11,322 average in-state tuition
Minnesota State Community and Technical College
At least 2 but less than 4 years; Public; $4,662 average out-state tuition; $4,662 average in-state tuition
Saint Johns University
Four or more years; Private not for profit; $33,022 average out-state tuition; $33,022 average in-state tuition
At least 2 but less than 4 years; Public; $4,653 average out-state tuition; $4,653 average in-state tuition
College of Saint Benedict
Four or more years; Private not for profit; $33,458 average out-state tuition; $33,458 average in-state tuition
Minnesota School of Business-Waite Park
Four or more years; Private for profit; $15,660 average out-state tuition; $15,660 average in-state tuition
Popular Majors in Alexandria
- Criminal Justice/Police Science
- Diesel Mechanics Technician
- Commercial and Advertising Art
- Business Administration and Management
- Nursing - Registered Nurse Training (RN, ASN, BSN, MSN)
- Interior Design
- Marketing/Marketing Management
- Computer Systems Networking and Telecommunications
- Child Care and Support Services Management
- General Studies
- Office Management and Supervision
- Mechanical Drafting and CAD/CADD
- Industrial Technician
- Health and Physical Education/Fitness
- Banking and Financial Support Services
- Computer Programming/Programmer
- Hydraulics and Fluid Power Technician
- Clinical/Medical Laboratory Technician
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal